Tuesday, March 5, 2013

6-1 At The Indy Open

I had a great time in Indianapolis at the Indy Open GT. I was painting right up until 11PM the night before in my hotel room to get my army to look at least half way decent (I didn't get lowest paint score!). While I didn't win the GT I did have an impressive showing, only losing one game (to Hans who won the last Indy Open and took 2nd this year) and winning my bracket. I doubt I will do battle reports as the new daemon book makes the tactical side of reports defunct, though I took pictures so I may post them another day. Here is my army and a list of my games:

Typhus
15 Plague Zombies
10 Plague Zombies
10 Plague Zombies
Heldrake (Baleflamer)
Heldrake (Baleflamer)
5 Havocs (4 Lascannon)

The Masque
9 Flamers of Tzeentch
5 Horrors of Tzeentch
9 Screamers of Tzeentch
Soul Grinder (Phlegm)

Aegis Defense Line (Comms Relay)


Round 1: MSU GK

He had first turn and combat squaded everything. By the time he moved up and used the jump move on his now four squads of interceptors I had very little space to land my deep strikes, leading to a soul grinder mishap. At the end of my second turn I only had 19 models on the table. Typhus was forced to roll five saves and failed four of them, dying. It was an uphill climb, but with some major help from my Heldrakes when the dust settled on turn six I was winning by a slim margin.



Round 2: Necrons/CSM

Wraiths are the worst match up for my army, so I focused on killing his squad of them early. He had two scythes and a heldrake but by the time they came on I had killed nearly all of his ground units leading to a full point win.

 
Round 3: Hulksmash's double fearless IG blobs with DA drop pods

I drove to the event with Hulk, and he had said on the way and at an RTT the week before that my army couldn't handle his. I needed to prove him wrong. It was a great game, the only one I would maybe still write about. It came down to the last turn with Typhus passing saves while holding the relic to give me a low point win. Because the game was not a blow out we both were prevented from being one of the four 3-1 guys to make it to day two rather than just one of us. As for his blob squads? I killed one down to the last model and the other only had the librarian and one sergeant left.


Round 4: Hans w/ Hybrid Crons

I will most likely write a post about his list as it was unique. He had Trazyn the infinite, a ghost ark, some deathmark/despairtek combos and much more. I lost this game because I decided to use my flamers as bubble wrap in case his wraiths got out of combat rather than throwing them in his face. Doing so would have seen half die, but it also would have took fire off of other things and would have let the survivors go to town. My Soul Grinder scattered into the one spot that would let him get eight haywire shots at it, which really hurt me in the grand scheme of the game. My other problem is not changing the turn on my turn marker. The game ended naturally on turn five, but I thought it was the end of turn four. I don't think I could have won, but I didn't even try since I had not idea the game could have ended.



Round 5: Mech IG

He had eight chimeras and three vendettas. In order to avoid my alpha strike he bubble wrapped his tanks, but didn't blob his force when he did. At the end of turn two it was eight to zero in the kill point race a that point. When the game ended he only had the three vendettas and one squad in one of them.


Round 6: Dark Eldar/Eldar

He had a ton a vehicles and I knew I needed to take away his mobility ASAP. He made a few placement mistakes and I did work. At the end of the game he only had five models left giving me a full point win in a game that could have gotten nasty (I only had three wounds left in the screamers the the first turn). It is worth noting that Eldrad on the icarus interceptor exploded the soul grinder and a heldrake.


Round 7: Nidzilla

This was my favorite game of the event. It was great getting to play against a list so similar to my nid list especially since he was a very compliant player. I started getting worried when his warlord tyrant wouldn't fail a FNP, plus he had great powers. His army did not fail a grounding check at all in the game. It came down to the last turn and despite getting my teeth kicked in I played the mission and squeaked out a 6-4 win.


It was a great weekend in gaming and I think the trip has convinced me to go to Bugeater, as long as the finances are fine after I pick up bits to build daemons for the new codex I will buy my ticket. Next stop: Dark Star GT in two weeks.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...