Monday, October 29, 2012

Chaos Space Marine Analysis and List Building: Part Four

This series of posts has been composed a few paragraphs at a time over the last week as I have begun the journey of learning a new book, and play style, as I move away from tyranids this next tournament season. Rather than changing previous ideas or reworking this post I have left it as is. I feel that is shows the process I use while creating and testing lists as well as providing insight behind why I am and will continue to make the list building choices I have been. This is part four of four interconnected posts.


This next week a prep league for a GT in my area (and adepticon too) will start up, and after not being able to answer Grey Knights and select Imperial Guard build with my Tyranids I have spent the last few weeks seeing if building up (and converting) a Chaos Space Marine army would be a viable choice for Adepticon. This decision was not fully about simply being competitive and winning, as there are a lot of things that this book gives me to try and convert on top of allowing me to paint in a grimy gory style I have wanted to try, but being at least as good with Nidzilla seems a reasonable standard. I now believe I have found a list that meets both of these requirements.
  
The List

Typhus
33 Cultists
10 Cultists
10 Cultists
10 Cultists
Heldrake (Baleflamer)
Heldrake (Baleflamer)
6 Havocs (4 Lascannon)
6 Havocs (4 Lascannon)
6 Havocs (4 Lascannon)

Masque
9 Flamers of Tzeentch
5 Plaguebearers of Nurgle

Aegis Defense Line (Quad Gun)

The only small change after two games was dropping three cultists for an extra guy in the last havoc squad. It is a pretty simple list. Mass lascannons give me a big presence in terms of ranged firepower and by turn two most games I have three units with flame templates that ignore the armor of most everything, plus a Herald that allows me to move my opponents units into the right position to be hit by said templates. It also has five scoring units that all have FNP and are fearless.

More after the jump...


The Hobby Side

I really like conversions, and did some cool kitbash work to create my Tervigons out of arachnarok spider parts. All of my Dark Eldar wracks were made out of various fantasy bits from empire, to skaven, and even elves. This though will be the first time I have converted a full army. Literally every model will be converted in some way.

For example, my heldrakes, which hopefully will be visually the center of the army, are going to be converted from a storm talon and a vendetta. The vendetta will have a daemon literally flying out the front of it, while the storm talon will have the daemon more integrated. I want to use the flame part from the skaven plague furnace to create the effect that the daemon is literally throwing balls of fire for the baleflamer.

The havocs are going to have custom made lascannons, I already have the catachan bits to start off on my zombies, and some models such as The Masque and Typhus will be original kitbashed creations.

I really am excited to try new things painting too. I have not painted any armies covered in gore. This army is going to be dirty, bloody, and rotten. Mixed in though is going to be the bright colors of tzeentch and other effects I want to try. I also want to do some crazy green stuff work too. I am pumped to work on this (and thus not at all motivated to get my dark elves painted).

The Gaming Side

I tested this list against two opponents. The first had a decked out Draigowing with Coteaz, three min henchmen units in psybacks, 2 incinerator dreadknights, a storm raven, and an aegis with a quad. It was dawn of war and the missions were kill points primary with the relic secondary. He deployed across the center with his aegis forward of the front of his deployment. I put a havoc squad in area terrain on each flank, Typhus and 35 cultists in a ruin in the center, and the five man havoc squad on an upper floor of that ruin. I failed to seize.

He scouts the paladins with his grandmaster power. Coteaz took divination and got the powers to twin link weapons and ignore cover. He uses this to kill my center havoc squad. Paladins are a rough bunch for me to face in any setting, so I go big with my preferred wave and get both the masque and the flamers. The flamers were placed eight inches from the paladins, but still scattered onto them, ending up getting placed in the farthest corner of the board. The mask was thus stuck alone in the center of the table. She pavaned the paladins so that Draigo went to the back, Coteaz was in the front, and most the squad did not get aegis cover. My lascannons killed Coteaz and one paladin, but without psychic boosts his shooting would be greatly diminished, especially with Typhus giving the paladins the weapon virus power. I moved the cultists back so that they would not get incinerated by the dreadknights. I don’t even try to go for the relic; it is pointless until I kill the paladins.

Draigo picks up the relic and moves forward. They shoot at havocs and with the psybacks help kill a squad. A dreadknight charges the masque and they tie combat at nothing a piece (she did rend twice though…and I forgot hit and run). The storm raven quickly rid the table of my quad gun. On my turn I got all of my reserves except two zombie squads. Plaguebearers drop behind his lines and the dragons flame the paladins. I move zombies back again. Lascannons kill two paladins. The flamers move up and are in a ruin now, nearing his stuff.

Draigo continues forward and kills a few zombies. A 4+ cover save with FNP is nearly as good as terminator armor, so they are pretty resilient. The storm raven kills two havocs (one lascannon). Draigo is close enough now that I think I can get the charge on him. I don’t have enough fire power to shoot him dead. I get the contagion power that makes Draigo -1S and -1T, so that is a good sign too. I flame two henchmen and some rhinos with one dragon, and the other flew off the table (maybe vector-locked from his quad?). The plaguebearers kill the third henchman and take over his quadgun. I miss my five inch charge with Typhus and friends. The next turn Draigo does charge. My opponent cockily challenges and I send in my cultist champ who died…but, because paladins are T3 and Typhus has a S6 daemon weapon he killed six paladins by himself. Boss.

At the end of the game my opponent had Draigo (with relic), one Paladin, the storm raven, both dreadknights, and three henchmen. I had one dragon, two small cultist squads, three havocs (2 lascannons), 7 flamers, and a plaguebearer squad. I lost, both my list, with practice can beat the Draigo win. In fact, if I go first I think I have a pretty good shot. I look forward to trying this one out again.

Game two I played a friend who I have traveled to tournaments with, but never actually played. He has been playing Chaos Space Marines for ages and was pumped to have them get a boost (he was still good with the old book, getting 10th at the Midwest Massacre). He brought Abaddon, the black mace nurgle prince, two ten man plasma chosen squads, twenty cultists, a dragon, two defilers, and a quad gun. The mission was the scouring as primary and kill points as secondary. I went first.

Best scatter ever? I think yes!
My havocs are all in ruins and the zombies are all behind them (on two objectives) except Typhus and the 35, who are front and center with cover from the aegis. My opponent is huddled behind his aegis further back. For my preferred wave I go with just the flamers who come in. They scatter a huge amount and land right in front of Abbadon’s unit, killing all of the chosen, putting two wounds on Abaddon, a wound on the daemon prince, and killing two cultists. I got lucky with that one. My lascannons are ineffective on the shrouded daemon prince.

Abaddon joins the other cultist unit who moves forward to rapid fire the flamers. He also moves the defiler forward so that if he needs to charge the dirge casters will prevent my overwatch (great tactic). He kills my flamers shooting with several units. The battle cannons scatter away from my havocs. The daemon prince charges my cultists, and even with seven rerolls (from 35 cultists) can’t pass enough saves to not die. The black mace effect only killed five cultists though. FNP is win.
  

Things are pretty desolate after turn 2.
On my turn two the Masque shows up and bunches the cultists and chosen, with the dragons killing all of the chosen (lascannons finished Abaddon) and all but a few cultists. By the end of turn four all he has left is the daemon prince (who took until turn four to get free of the 35 cultist mob) and a defiler. I have six lascannons, the quadgun, two dragons, plaguebearers, and two and a half small squads of zombies. Chris is going to try his list again swapping out the defilers for land raiders. I think this greatly improves his list.

All in all I really like the list. I am not going to say it is the best yet or that it can handle everything (I know for a fact daemons could be a problem), but for now I like it and think I will run with it for a bit.

With that I am going to end this series. Coming up there will be some hobby progress (I only have 12 days to paint my dark elves for a GT) and ideally I will actually put together some battle reports. Until then…may the imperium burn!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...