Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Dark Elves GT List: A Halloween Monster Mash

Nothing says scary like square base talk on a predominantly 40K-centric blog! Boo!

I am getting really excited about the fantasy GT I am playing in next weekend. I have been putting off and dreading painting my elves, and now today, after reviewing my list and looking at the scenarios I am in a fever pitch of being pumped! That is impressive considering I have not played fantasy since July, and I have only played four games of it in the last year (the other three were in a tournament where I got 4th out in Cali). I am hoping to get a game in next week, but even that is no guarantee. The night before the event is a Malifaux tournament/Arena of Death fantasy event as well, both of which look great and I am hoping there is a way I can do both. It is really refreshing going to an event where “I don’t care how I do.” I have to put that in quotes because I still want to win games, but with only 45% of the total score coming from battle points I don’t think I would have a shot at winning anything, even if I was good at fantasy. With that reasoning in my mind I built a list out of what looked fun to play rather than what is apparently good;

Check it out after the jump!

Dreadlord (Black Dragon/Pendant of Kaeleth/Armor of Darkness/Crimson Death)

Sorceress (Level 2/Dispel Scroll)
Sorceress (Level 1/Feedback Scroll)
Death Hag (Cauldron of Blood/BSB)

38 Corsairs (Musician/Sea Serpent Standard)
10 Spearmen (Shield/Standard Bearer)
10 Spearmen (Shield/Standard Bearer)
5 Dark Riders (Herald)
5 Dark Riders (Herald)

Hydra
Hydra

This list is probably making regular warhammer fantasy players cringe. Despite the intent of playing for fun, there is definitely some 40k-esque min/max in this list as well as some atypical unit setups, especially in the unit command department, on top of a very low model count for a 2200 point force. The general idea is all in forcing my opponent to manage threats (similar to a maximum threat overload list in 40k). The dragon will barrel down the center with a hydra at each side. These units will take all the fire power while my buffed up corsairs receive impunity until they are in combat and it is too late for my foe.

The dragon is the center of the list. The dreadlord has a crazy high initiative and rerolls all misses in the first round of combat which should give him the upper hand in challenges. He has 1+ armor, which is great, and on top of it he has a reverse ward save for when I fail saves (i.e. if he is wounded at S4 he needs a 4 or lower to save). This makes him extremely durable. He is armed with a S6 sword, but it is not a great weapon, meaning he will easily wound most any foe and greatly reduce their armor save. Oh yeah, he is riding a dragon too. He is one tough dude.

The sorceresses both will roll for shadow magic. The only spell that is not useful is steed of shadows (though paired with the dragon’s breath weapon there is potential). This will be used typically to buff the corsairs or debuff their foe though occasionally it can be used to weaken something giving the dragon problems. The cauldron of blood is a very durable battle standard bearer, and on top of that gives out special bonuses. I typically will give the 5+ ward to the corsairs early and then give them an extra attack, but occasionally the dragon will get a ward.

The core of the army first has two magic bunkers. These small units dive in front of my sorceress when danger comes. The dark riders fly up the flank and kill other fast cavalry or complete their all important primary task, kill warmachines. The herald is there to give me the extra attack when fighting these machines since only two riders get to attack. The big block though is the corsairs. Not only do they look phenomenal, but with two attacks (second hand weapon) and frenzy plus an extra rank of attacks from their horde formation (and maybe another attack from the cauldron) they pack quite a punch.

Hydras are awesome. If you don’t know why they are awesome I would suggest you go watch the 1997 Disney classic Hercules. Click here for a sample.

I have already submitted my list, so if any of you reading play fantasy, based on this list what are some tactical considerations I should keep in mind?

1 comment:

  1. speaking as someone who routinely fights a list very similar to this with empire my answer is priests and knights. keeping in mind this was the old codex i used, but even now one cannot underestimate the combination of hatred, 1+ save and 4+ ward (prayers) and flaming attacks (either from lvl1 battle wizards or the standard of hellfire or whatever the common banner is) couple this with some nice big chuncks of swords men to pin your foe (never underestimate the extra point of ws and the 6+ ward) with captains or generals (depending on the points size) and you can deal with pretty much anything this list will throw your way. you will of course take horrendous casualties, but hey, life is cheap....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...