Monday, November 5, 2012

Blood Angels List - Assault Is Not Dead



Last Spring I took a short break from Tyranids and picked up Blood Angels for a change of pace. I typically had two Land Raider Redeemers and on Land Raider Godhammer in each list. The army was my first foray into power armor and was a refreshing change. They even appeared at two tournaments, finishing 2-1 at both. Blood Angels have not gotten much talk though since sixth came out. I have been playing around with this list since this summer, but with last week’s 11th Company discussion of the army and Hulksmash’s similar yet independently developed list I think it is time for me to post my version of the BA Air Assault.

Librarian (Epistolary)

Chaplain
Sanguinary Priest
5 Terminators (5 TH/SS)

11 Death Company
Death Company Dreadnought (Blood Talons)
Death Company Dreadnought (Blood Talons)
10 Tactical Marines (Lascannon)
10 Tactical Marines (Lascannon)

Stormraven (TL Lascannon/TL Multi-Melta)
Stormraven (TL Lascannon/TL Multi-Melta)

Bastion (Comms Relay)

1850 Points


So what we have is four hard hitting assault units, a fast and reliable method of transportation, flexible scoring units and a way to keep them safe. Nationally we are seeing a horde mentality return, not just in terms of 50+ MEQ or IG blobs, but potentially unheard quantities of fearless zombies too. This list provides three units who can cut right through them. The blood talons turn the death company dreads into blenders with six attacks fleeting on the charge, where every unsaved wound grants another S6 AP3 reroll-to-wound attack. It also has a meltagun and ignores crew stunned and shaken. The librarian will nearly always take divination, of which the primaris power can allow these WS5 dreads to reroll to hit.

That librarian will deploy with the terminators, using his second power wherever it is needed. Divination is silly good as a discipline. Also joining them is the sanguinary priest. Feel no pain on my warlord and a squad of terminators is worth the 50 points. The last assault element is the death company, a squad that charges at WS 5 and S5 with five attacks each. Throw in the chaplain and now they reroll both to hit and to wound. Against nearly any opponent they put out so many wounds that power weapons are not even needed. Both of these units enter the stormravens with a dread strapped to the back of each.

The bastion not only can keep up to two squads safe (or more due to its ability to block line of site), but the comms relay allows me to reroll my reserve rolls, greatly increasing the chances I will have both ravens turn two. The tactical squads can, and typically will, combat squad so as to allow me more scoring opportunities. I chose lascannons for the same reason I put them on havocs; I want my hits on vehicles to matter.

Weaknesses I see are the lack of troops and full mech armies. I believe that I can handle mech as my assault units have either the strength or weight of attacks to get the job done, but I would have to put this on the table before I can know if the troops are sufficient. Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. I have played blood angels for quite some time, so I would like to offer some advice.
    Death company should always have at least one fist/hammer.
    If you're paying for a chaplain, you should pay for lemartes.
    A mech Guard list is going to demolish you.
    The librarian is never going to be in range of the dreads to cast anything on them. Assuming you are zooming across in their face?

    This is not a knock against you or your list, but Blood angels are unfortunately under-powered in 6th. I was going to do a whole series of articles on how awesome they are, but the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The death company could be kitted out in a bit too much of a one track mind style. I assume the primary use for the fist/hammer would be for facing walkers. I believe that with far less high AV walkers facing the table they should be relatively fine. I also am weary to put those points into weapons that can be picked out with precision shots on a model without look out sir.

      What advantage is Lemartes giving? The DC don't have the jump-packs, so his only advantage is a slight stat boost and being master crafted (unless I am missing something). Not worth the 50 points in my eyes.

      As I noted, I do think mech lists will be tough, but I do not think it is as plain as demolishing. Most mech guard lists I see are set to kill gun lines and not AV14 bunkers. Their goal is to prevent engagement. I think, though difficult, this list can engage. A bad spot to be would be going first against a list with several vendettas, but that is the case with any fliers.

      Prescience has a 12" range, which is no different than catalyst and onslaught, and I don't have issues with those being out of range. Also, since the dread is enbarked on the same transport I believe he can cast onto it before disembarking (I have to check FAQ wording on that).

      I agree that BA are not the same as before (losing the +1I is possibly the biggest thing for me, though razors being weaker hurts others), but I do not feel they are the forgone army that some are saying they are.

      Delete
  2. What would you do against your own Tyranid army? I think that this list doesn't quite have enough to cut through some screening gants to hit the Tervi behind, which would then maul the Dread for example, maybe the DC depending on their weapons. I do like this though, it looks to be pretty balanced against everything except the far extremes (Scythewing). It would also trash the Tzeentch Demons list that is (for unknown reasons...) terrifying the web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you think it will do well against daemons? I actually pegged that as a bad match-up. I can't assault flamers, and the AP2 on screamers hurts.

      As for Nids, I think it matches up well. The stormravens could each kill a flyrant in one turn of shooting if it doesn't have FNP up and my assault elements will shred MC. The death company charging a T6 unit will do 26 wounds before saves. TH/SS terminators with FNP would only lose 1.1 models when taking the charge from an upgraded Trygon, doing 3.36 wounds back after the casualty without any librarian buffs. As for the dread vs. tervi, it depends what buffs the tervigon has up. The initial round of attacks from the dread will do 3.44 wounds (without prescience) at AP3 on T6, each one not prevented by FNP will yield another attack. As I run the quick average, the dread after three rounds of extra attacks has done 5.93 unsaved wounds (if no FNP). So I give that one to the dread as well. Overall, I think it is a rough match for the nids.

      Delete
  3. Dump dump the bastion. You don't have devs so you don't need the height plus you can't fit the two tac squads up there. I'd also swap the lascannons for assault cannons on the Stormraven. If the TL MM and blood strike missiles can't kill that armor then.... That armor is dead and as stated before you're going to have some problems with nid armies. Honestly I think I would drop the tac lascannons for missile launchers as well for their flexibility. Sure you lose the S9 ap2 but you've still got a S8 shot to fall back on PLUS added horde defense.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...