Monday, April 29, 2013

New Chaos Daemon Codex List & Analysis: Part 4 (Pre-Adepticon)

This post was started prior to Adepticon. My Adepticon coverage will start tomorrow. Some of the views contained in this post do not represent those that I currently have with the daemon book, but since I wrote this, I figure it should be posted up, as the majority of my feelings on much of this is the same.


My goal with the new chaos daemon book was to have fun. That I have. I am eleven games in with the new codex and every one (well, except maybe one crushing loss) has been a very fun game. I love how aggressive I can be, and the fact that the army is so different each game (depending on rewards and psychic powers) keeps things fresh. I even have gotten in a game against the new Tau. I will use this post to show off a few of my converted models and talk about where I am headed as I go toward Adepticon next week.

Chasing Down Some Tau
Speaking of Adepticon, my army is very much not ready. I estimate that I am 44% done currently when it comes to building and painting everything (though my list for the championships changes every day), so this weekend will be key to getting things done. I have been working in the Bronx lately, so not having my models with me while out of state has slowed my progress down. A full weekend to hammer out the warhammers is something I have been looking forward to.


Here are my current list thoughts; I am very open to critiques and suggestions:




Daemon Prince (Nurgle/Armor/Wings/Level 3 Psyker/2 Greater Rewards)
Herald of Slaanesh (Steed/Exalted Loci/Greater Reward)
Herald of Khorne (Juggernaut/Exalted Reward/Greater Reward)
10 Horrors of Tzeentch
10 Plaguebearers of Nurgle
20 Seekers of Slaanesh
10 Flesh Hounds of Khorne

Daemon Prince (Tzeentch/Armor/Wings/Level 3 Psyker/Spell Familiar/Black Mace)
10 Cultists (Pistol/CCW)
Heldrake (Baleflamer)

Aegis Line (Quad Gun)


The list throws four big threats into their face who typically can charge turn two. Though it is low in troops, if they are dead, that typically means my aggressive units are as well. I also like that this list is a true chaos united list, and the best part is that there is no spam! Instead the list uses a lot of redundancy of purpose. If anything I would drop the Quad Gun (keeping the aegis) for more cultists.

Nurgle Prince – In most games he drops one greater gift for the balesword, a poison instant death weapon. With his high strength, the AP 2, and great initiative he absolutely wrecks monstrous creatures (the riptide didn’t stand a chance). I have made the mistake of playing him too far forward, in one case forgetting how far spawned gants can get on their first turn (which is terrible since I used to use this trick) and getting tied up by poisoned little buggers all game. Alternating terrain placement also rocks for him since I can nearly always get a ruin in the center of the table to hide him in for a 2+.

Herald of Slaanesh – She is WS7, I7, and strikes with S5 AP2. She picks who she challenges. Her and her unit get to rerolls their misses. This woman is beast mode. Also, getting to say, “look out ma’am!” is way more fun that “look out sir!”

Herald of Khorne – This guy never disappoints. On the charge he is S8 AP2. In my last game he got a charge against some broadsides and obliterated the unit by himself. He is the bane of marines and is a one man light mech destroying army. On top of that, my conversion for him is pretty fantastic in my opinion, so I like to see him on the table. Part of me wants to drop both the aegis and the quad to take a second one naked on a juggernaut, which is tempting because I have another conversion done for it and it would help me hunt down scoring units once I get to the back field.

Horrors – The idea is that they go to ground behind an aegis for a rerollable 2+. There is a lot that ignores cover, so they actually have yet to live through a game as a min unit, but on account that the models are already done and I like their brightness (blue robes with pink skin) I think they will stick around.

Testing Against The New Tau
Plaguebearers – I don’t even play defensively with them anymore. My foe has other things to shoot, and without cover ignoring they are silly. In one game against a shooty Tau/Eldar list (old tau) it was the relic and I walked them to the middle of the table and then walked them back to my side with min casualties. Getting to place my own terrain makes them dangerous. Also, them glancing on a six is super nice. Many a drop pod has met its match with them.

Seekers – They are so stupid good. So many attacks, and the herald only helps things. Did I mention they are fast. The look on people’s faces when you get an 11 or 12 inch run, which with fleet is over half the time you run, is hilarious. I also like how these conversions are turning out. Worth noting though is the huge footprint they have. I thought they took up space on fantasy cav bases, I just got mine on the right base size and they are nearly an inch longer than before!

Flesh Hounds – I originally was using furies for my Heralds delivery system, but the extra wound, toughness, and scout ability makes these guys pretty stellar. I have not been impressed by their damage output, but they sure seem to piss people off as the doggies pass saves and the herald does all the cutting.

Tzeentch Prince – This guy can really be a liability. It seems like all I roll for saves is ‘2’, meaning no reroll, but once he gets into the thick of it he wrecks face. Having fleshbane only makes him more silly. Ultimate feat with the mace was getting a tervigon to fail his characteristic test, blasting apart most of the gants that were going to poison him to death.

Cultists – So after using just zombies for six months, I must say Cultists kick ass. 31 attacks from ten dudes is really funny, I picture them gang beating their foes. The extra shooting is nice to for causing grounding checks.

Heldrake – It has been underwhelming since I lost the Masque. I think I will live though :)

Like I said, this was just a partial post prior to Adepticon. Now that is over I will be able to go into more detail about my experiences with the new book.

4 comments:

  1. How is your herald taking 50 points of gear? They can only take 30 I thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That moment after a tournament where you realize your list was illegal...

      Good catch. I tend to build lists at work when I don't have my codex and work fully off memorized profiles and costs. It is a great party trick being able to make lists without the codex, but can get you into trouble if you don't double check hard enough.

      Delete
  2. Heh, sounds fierce! I have yet to play against the new Demons - I played them in Fantasy on Saturday of Adepticon, but otherwise haven't had any experience. The list looks fine though - I tend to nod appreciatively at super aggressive lists, which yours certainly exemplifies.

    Are you doing battle reports for your Adepticon? I just finished mine after a week of working on it, it's scheduled to go up Wednesday morning :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not yet sure about full reports. I might just do one or two good games as I am in my last month of a triple major in college and probably should be investing my time not on 40K.

      Between playing my Daemons, and playing against daemons three times this weekend, I really don't see daemons becoming top tier. They will be upper mid tier, and rock people who build one dimensional lists, but overall I think there are some big issues. In fact, post adepticon I had so much trouble building list for daemons after my experiences that I actually have shelved them for a BA/IG build that I will write about later.

      Also, congrads on making it to day two of the championships (being that I was correct when I thought I heard them call your name).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...