Thursday, August 30, 2012

Tyranids and Fortifications: Two Lists


As readers may know, earlier this month I moved back to MN from California. If moving into a new place isn’t enough, I have been training for my new contract at work 60 hours each of these last two weeks. All of this means I have not had much time for writing. I have been able to play in two tournaments, placing 4th and 5th out of a field of 15 and 16 respectively. I have tried some new things including zoanthropes and hormagaunts which I will be writing about in the future. Today I have two sample lists involving fortifications.

I have not yet used any fortifications yet in 6th, but I have faced them, and I recognize two that could significantly benefit Tyranids. The first is the skyshield landing pad. While the unfurled benefit of not scattering is great for players who make extensive use of deep striking, the real benefit is when the landing pad is shielded. This rule gives all models on top of the landing pad (which if the picture to the right is any indication could be my full 2000 point list) a 4+ invulnerable save against shooting attacks. Note that that is not a cover save, but an invulnerable save. This is huge from the Tyranid perspective as getting a 50% chance to shrug a wound off a T6 monster who often wouldn’t be getting an obscured save is huge. The biggest issue I have had so far this edition has been weathering shooting when I am going second, so this is huge! The downside is that many events, including the rapidly approaching Midwest Massacre, are not allowing the skyshield. If I could bring he skyshield my list would look like;


Hive Tyrant (Warlord/Wings/Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Hive Tyrant (Warlord/Wings/Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Doom of Malan’tai (Spore Pod)
Tervigon (Onslaught/Catalyst/Cluster Spines/Toxin Sacs)
Tervigon (Catalyst/Cluster Spines)
10 Termagants
10 Termagants
2 Carnifex (Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Trygon (Toxin Sacs)
Trygon (Toxin Sacs)
Skyshield

This list operates very similar to what I have been playing since the start of 6th. One could easily drop two sets of Toxin Sacs and Doom and add three Hive Guard for more of a ranged presence. I am not set on this change though as the drop in mech that I have seen (both in CA over the summer and now in MN) in my mind has made S8 shooting less useful. The low AV vehicles can be taken out with S6 shooting which Nids have in mass, and the higher AV of Leman Russ variants and Necrons with their shielding is not something S8 can handle reliable. I feel that Doom tying up infantry will allow my monsters to get in close with less harassment to take out the big tanks. Another bonus to Doom is that many people forget to take out the spore pod, meaning that if you get in the enemy deployment zone it can be an easy way to get linebreaker.

The second fortification is everyone’s favorite, the aegis defense line. This 50 point investment gives you 28.5” of 4+ obscured saves. It is not as great as the skyshield, being that some monstrous creatures will not get cover from it, but it is still super handy. I will be trying out this list tonight and will most likely make a video battle report of it.

Hive Tyrant (Warlord/Wings/Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Hive Tyrant (Warlord/Wings/Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Doom of Malan’tai (Spore Pod)
Tervigon (Onslaught/Catalyst/Cluster Spines/Toxin Sacs)
Tervigon (Catalyst/Cluster Spines)
11 Termagants
10 Termagants
2 Carnifex (Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Trygon (Toxin Sacs)
Trygon (Toxin Sacs)
Aegis Defense Line (Communications Relay)

The big thing many may question here is the communications relay. My thoughts here are twofold. First, none of the Tyranid ballistic skills is good enough to justify 50 (or 35) points for a fragile gun that I can’t shoot well. For 20 points I can get a big boost to my reserves, an increase much greater than what I get for 25 in the form of hive commander. There have been numerous times when I wished I would have gotten my trygons or zoanthropes not on turn 4, and so these 20 points I feel are well worth it.

I want to wish the best of luck to those at Nova. I will be watching the live stream while I work this weekend, so I hope that I see some familiar faces at the top tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...