Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pyrovores at a GT? My Midwest Massacre List



I clearly should not ever say what I will post when, as my life of being a college senior who is both triple majoring and working full time is not conducive to being able to set a firm writing schedule. But you don’t care about my lovely life; you want to know why anyone in their right mind would bring pyrovores to a GT.

The answer is simple. Pyrovores fill several holes in my current list.

Oh, that isn’t a good enough answer? Lets look at what 45 points gets you. S4 and T4 is a bit low for that cost, but 2W and a 4+ isn’t bad. The key here is that each pyrovore is a walking heavy flamer, plus its close combat attacks ignore armor (thought at I1 and 1A you don’t want to be fighting man to man. My concept is that my list is prepared to engage targets and finish them, against hordes my big expensive beasts get stuck in. Dropping 3 pyrovores in a mycetic spore will do a huge number to anything not in power armor. Using them in this way also gives me two units for line breaker and lets me put   accurate pressure deep behind enemy lines.

Two days ago I was pretty jazzed about the idea, but now I am leaning off. Six wounds will die, and while they will hopefully take some fire off of my big guys, proper target prioritization will make this a non-issue though. Also, while ‘earning points back’ is not everything, the models will not get anywhere close to earning their points back, even if facing a non-properly spaced guardsman block. I hate to take a point sink if it does not provide me tactical flexibility or durability, so it looks like pyrovores are off the table.

Biovores do much of the same work, except they do it through ordinance barrage large blast markers. They can hide (increasing durability) as well as having the ability to barrage snipe. Plus if I miss the target I still will have a spore mine on the table. I think the key here is actually that less is more. I fall into a trap list building of ‘all or nothing’. I like full units, models armed to the teeth for any job. I want to put out three biovores, but I honestly think that one could do the job better. First it makes the hit of facing a durable army (say hello to the MEQ majority) much less painful, but it also keeps the unit low on target priority and makes it easy to keep out of line of sight. If not out of line of site I would keep him in reserve so as to not give up the first blood point.

The other disruption option is ymgarl genestealers. I am still not sold on stealers though. I feel that they are far too close to falling into the mold of a “one-hitter,” a unit that hits combat once, and by the end either took too many casualties while winning combat or is way to vulnerable to return fire to do anything. While they are good for taking out a single backfield unit, these guys are too much of a trading unit for unit for my liking. I do need to test them more in 6th.

The disruption option I am going to go with is the classic Doom of Malan’tai. I know, super original. For the first bit, I don’t want to try out something I have never put on the table at a GT; that probably is not a good recipe for success. Second, Doom is a model which must be dealt with, and his 3++ could make him a huge wound sink. On top of that the changes to blast markers in relation to vehicles make his AP1 large blast great for anti-tank. Even though most players can defend themselves against doom, I think he will hold his own for me.

What are we looking at as my list for the GT?

Hive Tyrant (Warlord/Wings/Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Hive Tyrant (Wings/Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Doom of Malan’tai (Spore Pod)
Tervigon (Onslaught/Catalyst/Cluster Spines)
Tervigon (Catalyst/Cluster Spines)
10 Termagants
10 Termagants
2 Carnifex (Twin-Linked Devourers x2)
Trygon (Toxin Sacs)
Trygon
1 Biovore
Aegis Defense Line

2000 points on the dot.

2 comments:

  1. Im a huge fan of biovores in units of 3: thats when you reach the weight of fire needed to consistently put wounds on meq. Likewise, anything less armored is in serious trouble. By contrast, both meq and nonmeq can safely ignore a single biovore that will struggle to get 3+ hits (not wounds) per turn. Overlapping barrage templates are a GREAT way to correct for misses, and max hit (and therefor wounds). In 6e blob meta its a great tool in the toolbox that lets you hit all across the board turn 1 without having to charge. Even with three, priority still goes to tyrants, tervs, hgs, dfexes, and trygons first in almost all cases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Just don't know if 1 Biovore will be very effective for ya, but for 45 pts for one large blast per turn, im sure it can be put to good use every game. Doom of Malantai is interesting to take in tournaments, as long as you put it in the proper place. In 5th id drop him near outflanking genestealers to give him some survivability, as well as supporting the genes in combat by leeching. My Doom has takin on a half strong death company squad, been locked in combat with the chaplain for 2 turns, and survived victorious. So as long as ur dice rolls are game, he is safe. 2 Tervigons are a must now a days. The 5th ed ETC lists all had 3 tervigons. Let us know how the dual flyrants goes, I used to run that in 3rd ed. Would like to see if its very effective in 6th. Maybe drop the carnifex for Hive guard, since you already got dakka tyrants. That might give ya some anti-MEQ shooting you might be missing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...